Vale d' Urso's old water mill, Fundão, Portugal. Copyright © Pedro Mendonça, 2016
In the municipality of Fundão there are assets that allow us to trace a history of milling techniques, from prehistory to the contemporary period.
Establish the link between these elements will provide extensions of the technical expertise and an integrated view of these complex co context of industrial, rural and urban landscape.
Pre-historical manual mill, Fundão, Portugal. Copyright © Pedro Mendonça, 2010.
Active learning, wherever possible, "in situ":
-Visit to the Archaeological Museum of Fundão, to see the manual mill systems of Castro de S. Brás and a Roman manual mill;
-Visit to a Hydraulic mill, still in operation, according to the time of year the watermill of Alcambar or the watermill of Souto da Casa;
-Visit to the "Museum of the rye ', in 'A Moagem- cidade do engenho e das artes', to see the industrial system of grinding.
Keyword research and other identical mill systems.
Key issues to be taken into account:
* Distinction between mill systems: manual/hydraulic/industrial
* Frame in the historical period different mill systems
* Know the basic operation of each one of the systems
* Frame on cultural landscape (rural-urban).
- Develop research skills
- Improving one's own learning and performance
- Develop communication and ability to work as a team
- Understand the concepts of teamwork
- Knowing how to present results as a team member
- Know how to create physical and virtual presentations
- Knowing how to use the Internet for research
- Responsibility and autonomy for individual and team member, complete task
- Search, analyze, evaluate and present search results
- Ability to work as a team
- Ability to look critically and distantly at the object
Now that you know the different types of mill systems, their basic operation and how to integrate them in the historical landscape of Fundão, your are able to present them publicly and to outline a strategy of valorization of these mills in a context of learning of industrial heritage.